El Paso, TX
- El Paso
- Historical Site
Franciscan monks founded this mission in 1682 for American Indians who escaped New Mexico during the Pueblo Revolt. The one that stands now, however, was built about 1840, since the earlier mission was destroyed in 1829 when the Rio Grande flooded. The beautifully decorated beams, or "vigas” were recovered from that earlier mission and are part of today’s Socorro. Indeed, much of the design and interior remains similar to those old building traditions.
The full name is Nuestra Senora de la Concepcion del Socorro.